Design Awards 2014
Kelvingrove Bandstand and Amphitheatre
Page Park Architect
Winner: Design Award
Built in 1924 Kelvingrove Bandstand and Amphitheatre is a key component of the designed landscape setting of Kelvingrove Park.
The Category ‘B’ listing of the venue in 2000 reflects its architectural and cultural significance as the only remaining Scottish example of a covered bandstand and elliptical amphitheatre, despite having fallen into disuse in the late 1990s and being included on the ‘Buildings at Risk’ Register.
In 2011 GBPT appointed a design team to develop proposals for refurbishment, conservation and adaptive re-use to deliver a functional outdoor venue. The design proposals addressed legislative compliancy issues, focusing on improving access and safety.
Adaptations to the amphitheatre sought to minimise the visual impact, with the altered layout introducing ramp access and new concrete benching, and additional aisles cut into the terraces above the refurbished original timber benches. The cast iron railings and gates were retained where possible and refurbished.
The Bandstand has undergone conservation and repair works with small extensions to the rear to provide supplementary accommodation to the original dressing rooms, including showers, an accessible WC and platform lift to provide stage access. Whilst the form of these extensions reflects the gable of the original building the use of contemporary materials offers sympathetic contrast.
Roof tiles were salvaged for re-use, loudspeakers brought into new use as lighting, and the lost decorative brattishing feature over the stage was reinstated. Lead details were replicated in standing seam zinc, and paint sampling was undertaken to inform the colour scheme.