Design Awards 2012
Burgh Business Centre
The McLennan Partnership Ltd
The Burgh Business Centre is a historically significant Category B listed red sandstone building which stands proudly at 75 King Street in the Royal Burgh of Rutherglen.
The building was originally designed by local architect William Ferguson in the early 1900’s as a 3-storey with attic, cruciform-plan, board school for use by the local residents of Rutherglen.
The McLennan Partnership Ltd was commissioned by South Lanarkshire Council Regeneration Services to develop and implement design proposals for converting the dilapidated former primary school into a modern business centre.
The design intent for the conversion and refurbishment of the former school was to remove the interior fabric that had been introduced over the years which was not original in character. A new interior treatment was designed to both expose and celebrate the original architectural features.
Construction work involved a sensitive restoration process as the building was returned to its original form with all features being protected and restored. The former classroom proportions translated well into new open plan offices resulting in minimal impact to the buildings originally conceived plan arrangement by architect William Ferguson.
Modern interventions have been made throughout the building. The bespoke atrium lift, glass balustrades, glass fire screens and lighting are all well considered and sensitive in nature and by the use of modern detailing the new elements are easily distinguished from and help enhance the historical Victorian details.
The well-considered fusion of new and old features provides the building with a rich vitality for the 21st century.