The Glasgow Institute of Architects
A chapter of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland
A registered Scottish Charity, Number SC000915
Become a member
Membership is open to all existing members of RIAS. Sign up now to receive all the benefits of GIA membership, including discounted events and employment profiles.
The Glasgow Institute of Architects has its origins in the Glasgow Architectural Society, the members of which first met in Alexander Thomson’s Scottish Exhibition Rooms in Bath Street on 14 January 1858 to establish a society for Glasgow and the West of Scotland. Eligible for ordinary membership were “trades and professions connected with building operations”, hence among the first Councillors of the fledgling Society were John Mossman (Sculptor), John Cairney (Glass Stainer), Robert McConnell (Ironfounder), and the more familiar names of architects Alexander Thomson, John Burnet, Charles Wilson and James Salmon.
For over ten years the Glasgow Architectural Society maintained an active presence in the city, before becoming a part of the Philosophical Society of Glasgow in 1869. General meetings, where members presented papers on a variety of topics, were held at regular intervals and recorded in the local press. Competitions were staged for the apprentice architects of the city, who in due course formed the Glasgow Architectural Association. An architectural library was built up for the use of members, and a series of plaster casts purchased which were ultimately loaned to the Glasgow School of Art and Haldane Academy.
On 18 September 1868, a new Institute promoted by the architect-only members of the original Society was incorporated. Their objectives remained much the same, being:
- the advancement of the Art and Science of Architecture
- the consideration and discussion of all subjects... connected... with the profession...
- the elevation of the attainments…and protection of the interests of the Architects of Glasgow
- the establishment of a uniform rate of charge by the members for professional business...
Links with the Royal Institute of British Architects were established as early as 1870, while a permanent association with the School of Art was also formed. In 1875, the death of Alexander Thomson saw the creation of a triennial Travelling Studentship to promote the study of Classical Architecture, which the Institute continues to award in his honour today. Winner of this scholarship in 1890 was Charles Rennie Mackintosh, whose correspondence from his sketching trip abroad to the Honorary Secretary of the time was gifted by GIA to the Hunterian Museum.
“The RIAS promotes the development of Scottish architecture to the public, offers architects’ clients safeguards when dealing with our members and regulates the profession and provides services to members.”
Concerning themselves with the many architectural competitions being staged at the close of the nineteenth century and with the education of the architectural students in the city, the Glasgow Institute of Architects was slow to support the formation of a Scottish Union of Architects, considering that the 1850 Architectural Institute of Scotland had not been a success. Although the subject was once again raised in 1897, it would be a further twenty years before the four principal Societies in Scotland would use the sum of £10,500 gifted by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson to form what would eventually become the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland.
Today, the Glasgow Institute of Architects is the largest of the six Chapters of RIAS. The business of the Institute is run by a Council who sit on various Committees covering Architecture People and Places, Communications, Education, Practice/CPD and Conservation-Sustainability. The Institute administers Student Awards, gifted annually to students in each year of both Glasgow Schools of Architecture, and has since 1979 presented Design Awards to recognise excellence in architecture by Chapter members.